MCSD Board of Education
The Montezuma Cortez RE-1 Board of Education is the governance and policy making body for our school district. The board’s powers and duties are established in state law and district policies. The board is committed to acting based on our motto of "Every Student. Every Day."
WHAT DOES THE SCHOOL BOARD DO?
While supporting the highest level of education possible for every student the school board does the following:
- Makes and reviews policies for the school district, while observing state laws and regulations pertaining to public education.
- Collaborates with the superintendent to develop the vision and mission for the district.
- Adopts the budget that provides the financial basis for buildings, staff, materials and equipment which enable the district to carry out the educational program. This includes oversight of all district funds.
- Acquires reliable information to enable it to make the best possible decisions about the scope and nature of the educational programming.
- Provides policy for effective management of complaints.
- Provides adequate and direct means to communicate with the public about district plans and needs.
- Supports decisions made by the majority of the Board.
Learn more on the Colorado Association of School Boards Website: CLICK HERE: CASB BUILT TO SERVE WEBSITE
WHAT DOES THE SCHOOL BOARD NOT DO?
- They do not evaluate staff other than their employee, the Superintendent.
- They do not manage day-to-day operations, they see to it that the system is well run by professionals.
- They do not represent special interests or partisan politics.
- They do not make decisions on items brought up during “Citizens address the Board”; items that require action must be on the agenda prior to the meeting.
SCHOOL BOARD BASICS
- Terms are 4 years and they are not paid positions. Board members spend on average anywhere from 3 - 6 hours/week reviewing documents and attending meetings.
- Most board members have full-time jobs in addition to their volunteer work as a school board member.
- Usually, board members are not educational professionals and they bring a variety of backgrounds and strengths to their work for the district.
- The “learning curve” for members is steep and they dedicate much time in training to learn about school finance and district management.
- Board members are an invaluable contributor to our students and to district success!
Study sessions and meetings
Board study sessions, meetings and public comment take place monthly on the 3rd Tuesday of the month and community members and families are encouraged to attend. See the calendar and agendas for upcoming meeting locations and topics.
District Strategic plan
We are guided by our three-year strategic plan. This plan sets four overarching goals and related strategies for preparing all our students for college, careers, and life. The board reviews progress on these goals at our monthly meetings and will publish an annual report to the community each fall on our progress.
Director District Map
This site provides information using PDF, visit this link to download the Adobe Acrobat Reader DC software.